2010 Key

2010 KEY December=Christmas Messages, November=Thanksgiving Messages, October=Mormon Messages, September=Mormon Messages for Youth, August=Messages from other sources, July=Church News and Humanitarian Messages, May=General Conference, April=Easter Messages, February=Mormon Doctrine series by the 12 apostles and 1st Presidency

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

President Gordon B. Hinckley on Blacks & the LDS Priesthood


In 1978, an official declaration of the First Presidency reported that a revelation had been received by Mormon Church President Spencer W. Kimball directing that all worthy men be allowed to receive the priesthood. Until 1978, men of African descent had not been permitted to receive the LDS priesthood, although they could become members and serve within the church.

Elder David B. Haight was present when President Kimball received the revelation. Years later he bore this testimony in general conference:

I noticed an edition of the Chicago Tribune on the newsstand. The headline in the paper said, "Mormons Give Blacks Priesthood." And the subheading said, "President Kimball Claims to Have Received a Revelation." I bought a copy of the newspaper. I stared at one word in that subheading—claims. It stood out to me just like it was in red neon. As I walked along the hallway to make my plane connection, I thought, Here I am now in Chicago walking through this busy airport, yet I was a witness to this revelation. I was there. I witnessed it. I felt that heavenly influence. I was part of it. Little did the editor of that newspaper realize the truth of that revelation when he wrote, "... Claims to Have Received a Revelation." Little did he know, or the printer, or the man who put the ink on the press, or the one who delivered the newspaper—little did any of them know that it was truly a revelation from God. Little did they know what I knew because I was a witness to it (David B. Haight, "This Work Is True," Ensign, May 1996, 22).

No comments:

Post a Comment